Duplicate card/change of information

If you need a duplicate JIS Pilsen Card:

  • visit the CIV HelpDesk in person
  • if the card is physically damaged you will lose your deposit and have to apply for a new card
  • if the card is found to be faulty but not physically damaged it will be exchanged free of charge and the CIV HelpDesk will prepare a new card for you within three working days.